- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher slat
- 3 teaspoons turbinado or some other coarse sugar ( we used a bit more than this!)
- Heat oven to 350 F. Place 4 six-ounce ramekins or a 2-quart baking dish inside a large roasting pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and flour; set aside. In a second medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and butter until combined. Whisk in the milk and lemon zest and juice. Add the lemon mixture to the sugar mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg white and salt on medium-high until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. In 3 additions, gently fold the egg whites into the lemon sugar mixture.
- Divide the pudding mixture among the ramekins or pour into the baking dish. Diving evenly , sprinkle with the turbinado sugar. To the roasting pan, add just enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins or baking dish. Bake until the tops are golden brown, 40 -45 minutes for cakes in the ramekins and 30 -35 minutes for a cake in a baking dish
Thanks to Real Simple for this lovely luscious lemon dessert!
What are some of your favorite Easter treats?